Monday, July 11, 2011

Still at it...





I stayed up late last night trying to figure out how to plot the proper darts to contour the bodice of my draft...ehhh, it turned out so-so when I cut the pattern on muslin and tried it on for a test fit. I moved on and started drafting the bodice/skirt combo. There isn't a seam in the waist and once again I'm reading AND re-reading trying to comprehend the instructions. I'm finding that I focus better when I don't skip breakfast AND unfortunately I take a break that includes a short nap :-). I find that I also get snippy and have to send the kids out the room when I feel distracted-- the cartoons and tween Disney/Nickelodeon shows drive me yonkers! It's hard enough trying to comprehend the instructions without their shows blaring from the next room.







My biggest distraction is a show I absolutely love to pieces. I recently "discovered" the TV show Dallas and have absolutely fallen in love. I remembered the Who Shot J.R. hype when I was a kid and all, but I'd never watched an episode up until a few months ago. Pure camp! I've watched all of the episodes up until season 7 (with 7 seasons left to watch). The thing is that I MUST sit and watch. I can't work and watch b/c I love all the costumes. I love to see all their facial expressions as well. Straight 80s nostalgia with all the campy drama. I promised that I wouldn't allow myself to check out Season 8 from the downtown library, but for some reason I gave in and checked out a copy a few days ago. Well, I have it sitting here playing on my desk top and I notice a dress that Jenilee Harrison's character is wearing (I couldn't bring myselft to crop J.R. and Sue Ellen out the picture because they are my favorite characters LOL). You may remember her from the show Three's Company as the actress who replaced Chrissy. The dress somewhat resembles mine except the neckline will me slightly more rounded than V-neck, I'm also wanting it to be a doubled layered ruffle, I don't believe the ruffles will be attached on the back but front only, and the dress will be sleeveless with string ties on the shoulder. Man, I wish I could get a hold of that dress and deconstruct it. I still have a long night ahead of me. I need to finish drafting back of the dress, figure out how to modify it by adding the contour to the front bodice, and cut on muslin for a test fit. I'll start fresh tomorrow to figure out how to add the ruffle and facing. Lord if all goes well I can start cutting out the pattern on the actual fabric, add the zipper, and hem. We'll see how goes!! This one dress has taken over my life, but I'm enjoying every minute of it. I won't go into a spill, but I've waited so long to get to this point in my life b/c it's a milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment