Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Post Assessment



Well aside from needing to sew the hemline of the skirt, I FINALLY FINISHED CONSTRUCTING MY FIRST DESIGN! Seems like the 6 1/2 weeks that it took to complete took forever, but at the same time it really wasn't very long considering the fact that just earlier this year I had no clue where to begin. Prayer, faith, and encouragement from family and friends are what made it happen. I learned so much piecing this simple garment together, but the thing I learned most was patience b/c working on this definitely tested mine.

While constructing the garment I notated a few likes and dislikes that I experienced while sewing the dress as well as assessment of the dress.


LIKES


  • The dress drapes well

  • I love the color

  • It's not too tight

DISLIKES



  • Too low cut

  • The cut of the bodice was a bit too large

  • Excessive seam allowances; large intake

  • The contrasting serger threads (should've used red instead of white)

Another thing I assessed is that I'm going back and forth on is the length of the dress. I was certain I wanted it to be a maxi skirt, but the finished result looks a little bridesmaid-sy. I can definitely see myself wearing the top with a nice pair of jeans, but the dress itself seems a little more suited for a resort wear. I'm leaning towards designing more along those lines too. Overall I'm pleased with the techniques I learned such as waistband casing, contouring, and drafting circles, but I have SO MUCH more to learn. One day at a time....

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!!! Nice work lady! I love the color, the design, and most of all your determination and endurance to finish! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete