Thursday, July 28, 2011

Average/Advanced Patterns



Since pattern making and construction courses aren't an option at this time (lack of $$$), and with keeping in line with the self-taught method, I think my next plan of action will be to purchase Average and Advanced-Level patterns to learn enhanced sewing techniques. According to Vogue Patterns, the two are defined as -


  • AVERAGE-These patterns are perfect if you have more time to sew, and more experience sewing. Look for challenging designer techniques, tailoring, unique construction details. Expect more fitting and inner construction. Find more variety in fabrics from the stretchiest knits to synthetic leathers and suedes.


  • ADVANCED-The finest patterns featuring the best of European and American Couture. Perfect for those who like the sewing challenge of professional tailoring and fine couture techniques. Expect intricate fashion shaping, hidden construction details, couture inner construction, fine touches of hand sewing and bias draping

So I searched onlne and came up with Issey Miyake Vogue pattern #V0152. I'm not crazy about the pants at all, but it does look very advanced with techniques that should be beneficial to learn. The same goes for the top. Lucky me it's on sale for $3.99. I have no clue when I'll be able to start on it say it arrives here in the next couple of weeks or if I can purchase it onsale at Hancocks. We'll see how it goes to see if I'll be able to devote a couple of hours each night once I report to work. Realistically, I'm having a hard time seeing that happen but we'll see. I'll set a finish time for maybe October or November this year.


On a side note, I've been saving my sketches since 1988 and have tons of designs. I was flipping through the more recent ones looking for one that I could possibly construct. Ummm, I don't know about them now that I've actually constructed one of my own. I can't quite put my finger on it, but most of them seem a bit difficult to execute or they need some major editing. I think I may do a new sketch and construct it. I'm curious to know how my sketch techniques will be affected since I know I'll be actually constructing them. I'm trying to not let the fear of my sewing limitations impair myself.


That's why I think it'll be beneficial to do both projects at the same time. I'll post my sketch that I will hopefully do today. So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment